Lovely Girl   +  rants

Freelancing = Easy?

I was mildly offended when I read "Seven Easy Steps to a Freelance Life" from MSN Careers . Not only is most of the advice common sense ("nurture your network"? obviously!), but it makes it sound insultingly like an infomercial: "Are you seeking the flexibility and autonomy of freelancing?"Well, of course, but what about the rejection? What about the Ramen noodles? Anyone who's done it, including those who do it on the side, know that freelancing also requires, oh I don't know... talent, perhaps? A grasp of grammar and spelling? A flair for language? A thick skin? Well, here's a little tip that is conspicuously missing from this article but I'm sure many of you veterans have already caught on... Build long-term relationships with your editors and clients. It will save you from writing lengthy query letters, trolling Craig's List daily and praying that some editor returns your email. I still do that stuff of course. But the bulk of my assignments come from editors who already know my writing and know that I can deliver.A few days ago I said I was taking a breather , but I've gotten offered several cool assignments from editors I've worked with in the past and who am I to turn down money I don't have to query for? One of the assignments even fell into my lap after I emailed her with a billing question (technically that assignment I couldn't do, but it was cool to be asked). That's what I call easy!