Lovely Girl   +  writing for the web

The Advantages of Writing for the Web

Many print markets are struggling, so it makes sense that savvy freelance writers are looking to the web (and overlooking the content mills or bidding sites because they know they're worth more). In fact, it's where I earn the bulk of my income and where I see even more opportunities for writers in the future.

I still write for magazines and newspapers when I can, but I love the more relaxed tone of many web markets and the ability to interact with readers all over the world.

Here are a few more advantages of writing for the web:

  • Shorter turnaround. It's no secret that some print publications take eons to plan their editorial calendar, make assignments, and publish that feature article you're dying to see in print. That generally means that freelancers have to brainstorm at least six months in advance and then wait six months to show off that shiny new clip. Not so with web markets. You can dust off ideas you pitched several months ago to magazines and try again with a website. And once it comes out, you won't have to wait for contributor copies to arrive in the mail, because you can just set up a Google alert and add the link to your portfolio. For new writers trying to build a portfolio, this is a huge plus! And experienced writers know that sometimes those contributor copies never quite materialize, leaving gaps in your portfolio if it's a hard-to-find publication.
  • Ease of sharing articles. It's way easier to share a link to an online article than it is to scan an article from a magazine, save it as a PDF, and email the PDF or save it somewhere online. I have all my online clips bookmarked in Delicious.com so I can find them later and sort according to topic. Plus, you can easily share links to your articles via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, email, or whatever online tools you use, which can lead to more assignments. "Oh, you write about personal finance? My sister-in-law edits this new website and could use another freelancer." Or "Our VP of Marketing just mentioned that we need a profile writer for our enewsletter."
  • Links to your blog, website, or book. Those of you who are trying to monetize a blog, sell books, or otherwise build a platform could benefit from inbound links. I don't advocate writing purely for links unless it's a guest post situation, but this can be a nice fringe benefit. Readers are more likely to check out your site if they can simply click a link rather than seeing it in a magazine and having to type in the URL.
  • Ongoing need for content. Sure, it feels good to break into a big consumer magazine. But most of those magazines come out once a month (or less frequently) and have limited real estate due to shrinking ad budgets. A magazine editor may love working with you, but freelance budgets are often out of her control, so sometimes it's hard to build traction. On the flip side, most web markets update daily or even every few hours, so there's an ongoing need for fresh, timely content. Impress a web editor, and you'll likely land repeat assignments.

This is where you're probably thinking, "sounds great, Susan, but I'm a professional, darn it! I don't write write for content mills or for a tiny percentage of ad revenue." Believe me, I hear you! I know it's sometimes challenging to find freelance-friendly web markets and track down the correct editor's email address. And since these markets are relatively new, many of them aren't listed in the usual directories like Writer's Market.

As some of you know, I've spent the last six months compiling a market directory of my own. Today, it's finally ready for sale. In addition to over 40 online markets, my new eBook, The Urban Muse Guide to Online Writing Markets, includes some of my most successful query emails, a glossary of web and writing terms, and dozens of tips on breaking into online markets. It's now available for sale through Lulu.com and my own website, and I can't wait to hear what you think.

Your turn! Do you spend most of your time writing for print or web-based publications? Which do you prefer?