Lovely Girl   +  plan

Letter to My Dell Inspiron 1200

Dearest Dell, You have been among my closest confidantes over the last two and a half years, and I have enjoyed the countless hours we've spent together. You have been with me on airplanes, in coffeeshops, and during late-night blogging binges. And though, admittedly, I have a history of disfunctional relationships with electronics, I have tried to do my part by dutifully offering you memory upgrades, Norton Anti-virus software, and a secure wireless network. My eyes have seldom strayed to younger, sleeker models (OK, except the MacBook Air, but that was a mere flirtation, I remain loyal to PCs). However, I think we both know that it's time for an upgrade. This is a decision I do not take lightly, but I know it's best for both of us that we part ways. You just don't meet my needs anymore. You now take twenty minutes to get fully turned on, and that I cannot abide. I need someone who offers me instant gratification: someone whose battery doesn't tease me by turning on, then falling asleep after a mere ten minutes of activity, and someone who can keep up with my need for speed and efficiency. Don't worry... I will still keep you around and caress your well-worn keys on occasion, but I just can't rely on you the way I used to. Even though I may bring home someone new, rest assured that I still cherish all of the memories we've created together!Yours 'til the hard drive dies, SusanAs you may have gathered, I am in the market for a new laptop. The boyfriend has offered to take me computer shopping. I'm psyched, because this means that I will have someone who's not earning commission to help explain processor speeds and wireless cards. He's psyched, because it means he'll get the vicarious thrill of shopping for electronics without actually spending his own money. Of course, this also means that I need to figure out what I value in a laptop.Wireless capabilities, word processing, and reasonable speed/hard drive space are all musts for me. A CD burner would be nice. So, fellow writers, what do you look for in a laptop? How much storage space do you need? What's your favorite model? How do you balance a readable screen with the desire for something small and portable? Any general thoughts on computer shopping?