Lovely Girl   +  open thread

Open Thread: Freelancers, How Do You Handle Vacations?

Next week is Memorial Day, which kicks off vacation season for many of us. Some freelancers simply bring their laptops and smartphones on vacation, while others put up an out-of-office message and go cold turkey for a week. Some don't take vacations at all, because for most of us, not working means not getting paid. I'm curious where you folks fall on this spectrum. Will you be traveling this summer? And if so, how will you handle client work while you're gone? Last summer, I took several trips to weddings and a graduation (the graduation was here in Massachusetts, but I took time off for a few days while relatives were in town). I did my best to keep up with email, but I knew I couldn't act as if it were business as usual, so I had to turn down a couple of projects due to timing. On the plus side, my travels inspired at least one article and allowed me to reconnect with family members and old friends from college. This summer, I have one work-related trip in the works (fingers crossed that everything comes together) and might be taking a few long weekends with Mr. Muse or my extended family. Oh, yeah, and I'm moving at the end of July/beginning of August, so I expect some interruptions to my normal work flow then. I'd much rather be jetting off to some exotic locale than packing and unpacking boxes, but it's a necessary evil. What's on your calendar for the summer? Flickr photo courtesy of szeke