Lovely Girl   +  strategy

Open Thread: What's Your Collections Strategy?

Collections. It's most freelancer's least favorite part of the job. But if we don't it, then we don't get paid. I've already covered red flags for freelancers to avoid and ways to protect yourself from online scammers. But sometimes you can do everything right and still get screwed. Right now, I have two clients who are over a month behind on paying me. These are clients I've worked with for awhile, so I don't think it's a cash flow issue and I trust that it will eventually get sorted out. Still, it's a PITA that full-timers don't have to deal with (not that I'm tempted to jump back into the 9-5 workforce; quite the contrary). In both cases, I've begun the collections process with a strongly worded email and followed up in a way that seems appropriate to that situation. One client got a registered letter yesterday. The other got a follow-up email and a phone call. I sometimes have trouble keeping my cool (I'm a redhead, after all) when I'm in these kinds of situations, but I try to stay as professional and factual as possible. Hence, the registered letter clearly articulating why not paying is not an option. I know some writers have taken their clients to small claim's court, but that's not an appealing option because of the geographic distance. I also tried using Writer's Weekly's Whispers and Warnings column in the past, and I'm not convinced that it had the desired impact (I eventually got a check but it was months later). Instead, I'm planning to get ASJA's Grievance Committee involved if I can't resolve this on my own. It's purely by coincidence that I haven't done more work for these clients, but it's probably for the best. Although I sympathize with editors or clients who have no control over the business side of their company (and I realize that refusing to do more work could unfairly punish them), it could exacerbate payment issues down the line. What about you? What's your strategy for dealing with non-paying clients? Do you keep working for them or put a hard stop on new projects?