Lovely Girl   +  Tips & Tricks

Open Thread: Have You Filed Your Taxes Yet?

Obviously, this week's open thread is most applicable to freelancers based in the United States. But since taxes are due next Monday, April 18 (due to a little known Washington, DC holiday), I'm betting it's on many people's minds. Like last year, I hired a CPA to help me figure out quarterly estimated taxes, sort through all my deductions, and nudge me to contribute to my SEP-IRA (the retirement plan I use since I don't have an employer to offer a 403(b) or 401(k)). And like last year, boy, was I grateful for his help! He caught a teeny tiny paperwork error that could have gotten me flagged for penalties or worse, an audit. With his help, I got my return signed, sealed, and mailed last week. Although I'm filing electronically, he instructed me to mail checks for the extra tax I owe and for first quarter estimates. What about you? Did you DIY your taxes? File them back in February? Or are you still sweating it out?If you need last-minute tax tips, check out my interview with Brigitte A. Thompson, author of Bookkeeping Basics for Freelance Writers and owner of Datamaster Accounting Services, LLC.