Lovely Girl   +  special

5 Tools for Frugal Freelancers

It has been nearly a year since my post for Freelance Switch, 7 Ways to be a Frugal Freelancer, and unfortunately, the economy has only worsened since last summer. Many freelancers (including your truly) are still bringing in new projects, but it never hurts to find ways to save, especially if you just wrote a hefty check to Uncle Sam.

Here are some additional suggestions for frugal-minded freelancers:

  1. Skype. I'm not suggesting that you give up your cell phone (perish the thought!), but I've been able to significantly reduce my cell phone minutes by using the internet-based phone service when I'm at my computer. I pay $2.99/month for unlimited calls to the US and Canada, so I use it for lengthy customer service calls and phone interviews. Bonus: the headset means that I don't have to awkwardly cradle my phone under my ear as I'm typing!
  2. Freecycle. So far I haven't found any office materials on Freecycle, but I have used it to give away electronics I no longer need (that would have fetched a pitiful price on Craig's List) and pick up gadgets for my kitchen. Other freelancers may find it useful for office furniture, supples, and other miscellaneous needs.
  3. Free Shipping. The last installment of Frugal Freelancers mentioned finding discount codes online, but this site is a one stop shop for free shipping codes to hundreds of major retailers. They also list other discounts avaialable, too.
  4. Ecofont. Writers really should print out their projects so they can proof things on paper, but that can also eat up a ton of ink. This font is free to download and conserves an estimated 20% of ink, so you won't have to replace your cartridges as often. Also try printing on both sides of the paper to save money and trees.
  5. Share subscriptions. If you write for magazines, then you probably have a million subscriptions and a huge stack of publications you've already read. Maybe you can share the subscription cost with a friend so that you'll be able to read your magazines without shelling out extra cash. Alternatively, many publications offer a special gift rate, so you can sign up a friend for the price of one subscription and split the price.

What tools do you use to save money? Anything I've missed?