Lovely Girl   +  writing

Top 10 Freelance Writing Blog Posts from 2010

Looking back at the past 12 months, I have to say that 2010 was a darn good year for me. Despite whisperings about a double-dip recession, I managed to break into several new markets and more than exceed my income goal. Plus, in the past few weeks, I've fielded calls from several recruiters trying to fill full-time copywriting jobs, which should be a good sign for those of you who are job-hunting. It's not a bad sign for freelancers either, because it means companies are still spending money on marketing and possibly gearing up for new projects, too. In any case, 2010 is drawing to a close, so I wanted to share some of my best blog posts from the past year. This list is based on a thoroughly unscientific selection process based on the number of comments, amount of web traffic, and my own personal favorite posts. Here goes ...

  1. 10 Ways to Land New Projects in the New Year
    This post from last January includes some evergreen suggestions on getting more work from existing clients and connecting with new ones in the New Year.
  2. Pros and Cons of Full-Time Freelancing, Part 1 (also check out Part 2)
    If you're considering going full-time freelance, then I highly recommend reading both parts of this series. And if you're already freelancing full time, then I bet you can relate to many of these items!
  3. 10 Things You Should NOT Ask a Freelance Writer
    I consulted my Twitter followers for this one, and BOY, did they have a lot to say! Although this post may be more humorous than helpful, it does include a few suggestions on how to respond to questions like "how's your job hunt going?" and "when does your book come out?"
  4. The Freelance Writer's Guide to LinkedIn
    LinkedIn is a fantastic resource for freelance professionals, but many assume it's designed for their counterparts in Corporate America. Not so. This post includes suggestions on how freelance writers can get the post from their LinkedIn accounts.
  5. 5 Lessons from the 2010 ASJA Writing Conference
    Attending the 2010 ASJA conference in April was definitely one of the high points of my year, so check out some of the highlights. (On a related note, I'll be moderating a panel on ebooks as part of next year's conference!)
  6. 5 Ways to Avoid an "Uh Oh" Moment
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm far from perfect. This post describes the Great Voicemail Fail of 2010 and includes tips on avoiding similar faux pas.
  7. Why You Need a Freelance Resume
    Some people say that resumes are passé. I disagree, and in this post, I explain how resumes can help freelancers track their accomplishments, satisfy clients, and more.
  8. Writers: 8 Alternatives to Magazine Markets
    From radio waves to websites, there's a lot more to writing than consumer magazines. This post covers a plethora of options for versatile writers willing to think beyond the news stand.
  9. Is It Writer's Block? Or Over-Thinking?
    Think you've got writer's block? As I explain in this post, it could be a simple case of over-thinking. And when you're up against a deadline, it's often necessary to stop obsessing over the perfect word and start typing.
  10. 5 Freelance Fears - And How to Conquer Them
    This post has a Halloween theme, but fears like losing clients or getting stiffed can strike at any time of year. Be sure to check out the comments of this one for a lively discussion of other freelance fears.
Flickr photo courtesy of asterix611