Lovely Girl   +  sources

Best Books of 2006

With 2006 drawing to a close, Publisher's Weekly , NY Times , and other major publishing sources are listing their top book picks of the year. Being an avid reader and lover of words myself, I thought I would compile my list with a twist: instead of limiting myself to books that were actually published in 2006, I've decided to include any books I read this year to give a broader sense of my literary taste. Here, in no particular order, are my favorite reads of 2006:

My Sister's Keeper . I practically devoured this 448-page novel about medical ethics and family dynamics in one sitting. Jodi Picoult's use of suspense and point of view are quite masterful.

The Namesake. We read this novel about an Indian-American family in my book club, and I liked Jhumpa Lahiri's prose so much that I rushed out to get her Pulitzer prize-winning book of short stories. Can't wait to see the movie with Cal Penn!

The Family Fortune . This book actually was published in 2006, and its an adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion set in modern-day Boston. Sure, it's light and fluffy beach reading, but I'd love to read more from Laurie Horowitz.

Unhooked Generation . In her 2006 non-fiction book, Jill Straus tackles the age-old question of "why are we still single?" I admit I was a little embarassed to be seen with a relationship book in public, but most of the women I know have read it and appreciated its frank analysis of modern dating.

Twentysomething Essays by Twentysomething Writers . This anthology is a must-read for anyone who's in that awkward phase between college and... adulthood. It tackles topics as diverse as parenting, working, and communicating via MySpace in the voices of fresh new writers.