Lovely Girl   +  sources

Open Thread: What Happens When You Mess Up?

Last week, a reader requested an open thread about what happens when you mess up royally. I've already shared my experience with copy errors, but sometimes other stuff happens. Computers die. Voice recorders malfunction. Paper files get lost. Emails get sent to the wrong person.

Hopefully you're backing up your data and double checking the email address before you hit send, but like I said, happens. And when it does, it's usually best to take a deep breath and own up to it. Don't wait until deadline day, hoping maybe your computer might magically repair itself or that file you need will resurface.

Once you've confirmed that you have a problem, call your editor/source/client and offer up a solution ASAP. "My voice recorder malfunctioned but I'm available tomorrow if you're willing to offer me another interview." "Just wanted to you know that the original file is gone, but I'm borrowing a computer so I can recreate it." I know, easier said than done sometimes.

Have you had to handle a crisis? What did you do?