Lovely Girl   +  sources

All in the Timing

I took a few weeks off from querying while I finished a major assignment and prepared to move , so things were a little slow until this week. When I started getting new assignments again, my first inclination was write up my articles right away to make time for future assignments and queries. But then I realized that if I stopped querying to work on articles I’d end up right back where I started (without assignments) in a few weeks. Better to keep querying and work on assignments closer to their deadline so I’ll have more assignments coming in gradually.I'm working with a couple of new-to-me editors, so I found it helpful to write up a checklist of questions to ask before accepting assignments (I feel kind of lame asking after the fact and they don't always offer up all the details up-front). Here it is...

  1. What would this article pay? Is there a kill fee?
  2. What rights do you purchase?
  3. What's the required word count?
  4. How many expert sources (if any) should the piece include?
  5. What's my deadline?