Lovely Girl   +  writing

Open Thread: What's Your Professional Development Strategy?

stack of books

As kids head back to school, it's time for us freelancers to brush up on our skills and perhaps learn some new ones. Michelle Rafter posted a list of upcoming writer's conferences, and while I'll be attending the ASJA 2012 conference next spring, right now I'm planning to stay closer to home for my professional development. I hope to finally finish reading the Yahoo! Style Guide and attend more of the Reynolds Center for Business Journalism's free online workshops. The one attended earlier this summer got me really fired up with new ideas, but what typically happens (as was the case last week) is that I sign up and some last minute interview or deadline prevents me from listening in. Fortunately, the Reynolds Center send out the recordings, but it's not quite the same as participating as the workshop unfolds and asking questions in real time. I earned my Certificate in Writing for Professional Communication at Emerson College last year, but I may sign up for a few more modules, since they let you take classes ala carte. What about you? Any plans for some professional enrichment? What skills would you like to learn and how are you keeping your existing skills current? Do tell!

Image courtesy of Carlos Porto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net