Lovely Girl   +  open thread

Open Thread: How Do You Handle Time Off?

This time of year it seems like everyone is either on vacation or getting ready for a vacation. Even freelancers need time off, though it can be tricky for us to swing. That's why I'd like to discuss vacations for this open thread.

Are you taking any time off this summer? And if so, will you be checking email or doing work while you're gone? Do you announce your time off in advance or quietly slip away? And what happens if an important project comes up?

I've tried a variety of things: announcing my absence in advance (which sometimes leads to annoying statements like "you freelancers are so lucky you can take time off whenever you want"), bringing my BlackBerry and laptop so I can continue working as if I were at my home base, or checking email a few times a day and (trying to) enjoy the rest of my time. It's tough to totally unplug, because inevitably, I get a juicy assignment just before I leave or while I'm gone. But then I don't get the full mind-clearing benefits of being on vacation.

What about you?