Lovely Girl   +  writing samples

Introducing... MAP Boston

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to tell you about MAP Boston. Featuring original photography and descriptions of local restaurants, bars, stores, and others gems, this hybrid guidebook/planner is now available online or at these bookstores in the Boston area.

I'm not just a MAP Boston fan; I'm also a contributing writer!

Now that I got my shameless plug out of the way, I thought I'd also use this post to reiterate the value of networking. I first met MAP Boston's editor-in-chief, Morgan, through our mutual friend Shannon about a year ago (they went to college together, I used to work with Shannon). She told me about her company, and I remember thinking "wow, that's cool that she created a business out of exploring Boston's nooks and crannies!"

Then in May I saw her again at a women's entrepreneur event where she was speaking on the panel. Morgan was one of only two people I knew in the entire room, so I made a point of reintroducing myself and asking how things were going. We chatted about a piece I was working on for DailyCandy and how great it is to be your own boss. Morgan's not just her own boss, so I asked her how she manages the people under her and still manages to get her own work done (I've never been good at that).

We continued emailing after the event, and it just so happened that at the same time I was looking for more writing projects after leaving my job she needed a few last minute write-ups to round out the book. Talk about no-pain networking!