Lovely Girl   +  TV interviews

3 Tips for TV Interviews

Ever since my interview on ABC News a few weeks ago, people have been asking me a) how I got the gig and b) what they should know before going on the air. Well, the answer to A is pretty straightforward. The producer emailed me on a Friday afternoon after reading an article I wrote, I cleared it with the publisher's PR department, and my boyfriend drove me to the studio the following Monday.

I guess the key is to write a timely, interesting article that is useful to a broad consumer audience and get it published on several websites (the original publisher bought all rights, but in this case, it worked out well for me because they syndicated to a bunch of different sites, increasing my reach). Ha, I know it's easier said than done, and there's an element of luck involved.

As for what you should know before going on the air, I'm hardly a TV veteran, but here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Watch earlier segments online. This will give you a sense of the anchor's style, the types of questions they ask, and what other guests are wearing. While we're on the topic of wardrobe, I've noticed that almost everyone on TV wears solid colors and long sleeves (few of us have Michelle Obama's arms). I chose a teal V-neck, because I was afraid that white or black would look too stark against my pale skin. My Mom pointed out that teal doesn't have much contrast to my skin, so next time I might opt for royal blue or another jewel tone.

2. Assume that you are responsible for your appearance. Originally they told me there would be a make-up artist at the studio, but then the location changed and I found out half an hour beforehand that there wasn't. Fortunately, I had brought a small make-up case with me so I could wear my own mascara, but I didn't have any concealer, blush, or eyeliner, because I thought it would be provided. So I went to town with bronzer and lipstick and mascara with no idea of how it would read on camera. Afterwards, my boyfriend thought I looked like a clown up close, but several relatives asked why I gone on national TV sans make-up. Next time I will pay someone to make sure I don't look pale or shiny.

3. Practice beforehand, but don't overpractice. Another writer who appeared on The Today Show told me it'll be over before you know it, so don't obsess. She was right. I printed out a copy of my article to review and wrote down several talking points, but once they had planted in front of the camera with a microphone and headset, I listened to the segment before mine to get my mind off of my own nerves. The earlier guest had some good tips on budgeting, so I listened rather than practicing my own spiel again. That relaxed me and also gave me a chance to listen to the anchor so I would remember her name for my segment.

Anything you would add?

Flickr photo courtesy of Lekke