Lovely Girl   +  research

Query Challenge Recap

Well, I just sent out my 121th query and finished the 2007 Query Challenge earlier this week. Here's the breakdown (updated on 5/18/07):

Yes, we want your article: 29
No, we've published something similar/our calendar is full/it's not for us: 43
No answer: 46
Other (later discovered that the website or mag was defunct – darn!): 3

How I did it: I started out with a list of queries in WordPerfect (that's right, I didn't even have MS Office when I started the challenge). But once I upgraded to MS Office 2007 (so worth the $$, by the way) and started using Excel, things became a lot more streamlined. I'm happy to share my template with anyone who needs or wants help getting organized, but basically I created columns for date of query, publication, idea, contact person, mode of communication (email, online submission, Craig's List, carrier pigeon, etc.) and yay, nay or nada.

Recently I started writing notes on the right hand side to indicate when I should follow-up and if the editor ever sent me a nice rejection note with feedback. I also bolded any queries that I intended to follow-up on as a note to myself. Obviously, Excel is vastly superior to WordPerfect and it helps to sort according to publication or date to see when it might be time to try again. (I could have used a column for deadlines, but I keep those in a separate document to track invoices and all that jazz.)

What I learned: Persistence, patience and practice, practice, practice. I still haven't cracked what I consider to be the "top-tier" markets (getting very close, though, stay tuned), but I've made some cash, added some new pubs to my list of credits, and gotten some good clips in the process. I've noticed that even though the experts encourage writers to follow-up with an editor, I haven't netted any assignments that way. I plan to continue following up as a matter of due diligence and so I can get closure in some cases, but it hasn't been hugely helpful thus far. However, it has been helpful to respond promptly with a new idea when an editor indicates that she likes my writing style but isn't sold on the idea (or some variation of that). That's also how I racked up so many queries so quickly!

Moving forward, I want to spend more focusing on querying the glossies and less time chasing after piddly little assignments on Craig's List . It's a big time suck because those often don't name the publication so I can't do the appropriate research or follow up later (and although I've landed assignment from it, a disproportionate number of no answers were from CL). Still, I remain optimistic that a few more of the no answers could turn into assignments.

Postscript: I wanted to mention that for others who are working towards the Query Challenge and need some inspiration or guidance, Linda Formichelli (co-author of The Renegade Writer) will be appearing in 5 Q's in a few weeks. Her e-course starts up on Monday and I would love to sign up if I weren't swamped with a million other things, like, oh, apartment-hunting again (more on that in another post). Keep up the great work, queriers!