Lovely Girl   +  working from home

How Working from Home Improved My Social Life

Fellow blogger Jamie Harrop recently wrote about the downsides of working from home (to be fair, he wrote about how to avoid these downside, too). When I told people I had quit my job to write full time, the #1 concern was "what'll happen to your social life? Won't you miss going to the office?"

Now, admittedly, I am barely into week 2 of working from home, but so far it has been fantastic. Here's why...

  1. Since I'm focusing on writing full time, I no longer have to rush home from the office to finish a project or send out a query. I skipped a lot of happy hours and social events when I was working full time because I knew that editors wouldn't work with me again if I missed a deadline or turned in crappy copy. Sure, I'm still spending a lot of evenings at the computer; however, being more in control of my time has allowed me to put in more face time with friends instead of bosses.
  2. I'm more relaxed now. My boyfriend will be the first to tell you I'm a much better dinner companion than I was before. Instead of ranting about what So-and-So said or what they did to create hours of extra work for me, I can make small talk like a normal person. Yes, now there's the concern that the websites I write for could go bust or that an editor will make a ridiculous request at 5:10 on a Friday, but at least I'm doing what I love.
  3. A lot of people are concerned about my social life, so I'm making a concerted effort to get out and see people. This gives me an excuse to go grocery shopping in the middle of day or walk to the library to research a magazine I'd like to pitch. I'm even meeting my former coworkers for lunch on Thursday. I still tend to hit the gym during peak hours (hey, a girl's gotta get some work done), but it's nice to know I can go whenever the mood strikes.
What do you think? Has working from home improved your quality of life? Or do you miss interacting with coworkers?