Lovely Girl   +  musings on life

When You Need an Elevator Pitch

Today I was chatting with one of our interns and said to him "so, you know I won't be in the office after next week, right?" He's not my intern, so I can understand why he hadn't heard yet (but that is another story).

"No, what are you doing after next week?"

I'd tried to keep the freelance thing on the DL prior to my big announcement, but now I figured I could let him in on my double life. "I'm going to focus on my freelance writing."

Some college students have no idea that staying home to write about cocktails or luxury hotels is even an option. But this guy is a film student, so he knows about nontraditional careers.

"Wow, that's so cool! How'd you get into that? What do you write about? Do you mind my asking?"

Now, if you're going to do something cool, then you should be willing to talk about it. Even if you hate bragging or you feel self-conscious talking about yourself, when someone gives you an opening like that, you need to say something. It totally made my day.