Lovely Girl   +  success

Open Thread: Would You Sign a Non-Compete Clause?

A few weeks ago, I was asked to sign a contract with a clause stating that I wouldn't write for certain competing publications for a certain amount of time. Now, I hadn't planned to write for them anyway and the pay was right in this case, so I was willing to do it.

But it left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. After all, I'm a freelancer, not an employee, so who are they to limit my livelihood and tell me who I can write for? Sure, I'd agree not to cover the exact same topic, but not write for them at all? That's asking a lot.

On the other hand, when I'm subcontracting for someone and they ask me to sign a non-compete agreement stating that I won't contact the client directly to solicit work, I'm happy to oblige. Stealing the client of someone who pays you is tacky, not to mention unethical. No thank you!

What's your take on non-compete clauses? Have you successfully negotiated a non-compete clause out of your contract? I've done that once, but I sensed in the situation above that it wouldn't fly. Have you had to walk away?