Lovely Girl   +  open thread

Open Thread: Who's Your Ideal Client?

Last week, I agreed to an interview for a permalance copywriting gig. I knew the terms of the relationship weren't ideal for me, but I was about to wrap up a few projects and this one would have kept me busy for the next several months, offering a break from hustling for new projects and heckling (as nicely as possible) clients with unpaid invoices. Despite the temptation of steadier checks and a business casual office, I declined. I know plenty of freelancers who supplement their income with a few contract gigs here and there, but I had a hunch that the opportunity cost would be too high. Sure, I could squeeze in a few extra hours on evenings and weekends but I'd probably have to turn down a really cool last-minute assignment or a juicy project for a different client. And after taking a marketing hiatus of several months, I'd have to hustle twice as hard when the permalance gig finished. I resisted the idea of an Ideal Client Profile, because I didn't want to think too narrowly and exclude potentially great clients. I'd be evaluating prospects on a case-by-case basis. But I realized the time had come. Here's what I came up with:

  • Is equipped to work with freelancers remotely, with the bulk of communication happening via phone or email
  • Responds to crucial questions in a timely fashion
  • Designates one point person for feedback
  • Offers the possibility of ongoing work that interests, inspires, and/or challenges me
  • Values professional copywriting enough to pay professional rates (and within the time frame mutually agreed upon)
  • Follows the spirit of the original agreement without trying to expand the project scope or shorten the timeline on the same budget
  • Creates a finished product I can be proud of, whether or not my byline is attached to it
  • Promotes products, services, or ideas that are consistent with my core values: responsible money management, balanced living (I try to be healthy but I'm not above covering an indulgent dessert or a really good cocktail), socially conscious entrepreneurship and consumerism
Some of my current ideal clients include a well-regarded personal finance website that assigns me several challenging stories per month and pays promptly, an eco-friendly makeup company that asked me to write copy for the website and agreed to pay a 50% deposit, and another website that covers innovative nonprofits and sent a check within a few weeks. I realize there may be times when I decide to ignore one or two of these requirements because one factor outweighs the others. But overall, I'm glad I have these guidelines for easier design-making in the future. Who's your ideal client? Do any of these criteria appear on your list as well?