Lovely Girl   +  writing

Open Thread: What Do Bloggers Owe Readers?

Earlier this month, BlogHer had a lively debate about whether bigger bloggers are obligated to help newbies. I'm not going to comment on what constitutes a "bigger blogger," but I think it's an issue worth considering, especially since I often get so many emails from aspiring writers and bloggers asking for advice.

Personally, I try to help up-and-coming writers and bloggers whenever I can. I answer questions via email. I teach blogging at two local adult education centers (and yes, I get paid for that, but the hourly rate is much lower than what I earn from other gigs). I pass along contacts as I deem appropriate. It's good for karma and it builds goodwill so that these writers and bloggers will (hopefully) follow my blog.

But I have to draw the line somewhere or I wouldn't have any time for my paying projects. When I get super open-ended questions like "How do I start a blog?" or "Where can I find freelance clients?", I'll refer the asker to appropriate resources, like my blogging class or one of these books on writing. There are tons of resources available for those just starting out, so I think it's best to avail yourself of those resources before asking busy freelancers questions that can easily be answered elsewhere.

When someone has clearly done a little homework first and asks a specific question that can be answered in a few sentences, I'm much more inclined to help them out. Asking a quick question is fine. But expecting someone to put their work aside and hold your hand? Not so much.

What's your take on this topic?