Lovely Girl   +  special

How to Help Your Favorite Authors

I haven't published a book myself (yet), but I'm all for helping authors spread the word and sell more books. And with the advent of Facebook, Goodreads, and Twitter, it's easier than ever for readers to get involved. Which is fortunate, since marketing budgets at many publishing houses are shrinking.

Here's what several tweeting authors and novelists had to say about how readers can support them:

@ClodaghMMurphy Amazon review and Tweet. Fan letter to me would be even better though!

@anti9to5guide Yes to Amazon, Goodreads, etc reviews + tweeting/Facebooking about it (with links!) + attend readings, give books as gifts

@aswinn Really, any type of spreading the word is SO beneficial. Also, recommend to friends' book clubs.

@DevonEllington Positive tweets and blogs about the books are always nice -- or contacting me for a guest blog or interview.

@kristenfischer I wish more ppl would review my book, definitely. I don't care if it's all over, but for those that read, share!

@Meganmccafferty All of the above! And BUY our books!

So, to sum up:
1. Buy the book (duh). Not all of us can afford brand new books, but buying new ups the author's numbers as opposed to buying used. Just sayin'.
2. Buy the book as a gift for others. Recently, my friend Susannah surprised me with a package from Amazon on my doorstep. Her surprise book made my day, so I ordered a different book and had it shipped to an old college friend I don't get to see that often. Maybe we'll start a long-distance book club.
3. Request that your local library purchase a copy. Not mentioned by any of the tweeting authors but helpful nonetheless, especially if you're not in a position to buy the book yourself.
4. Ask your local book store to carry it. See above.
5. Suggest the book to your book club. Some book stores even give discounts to book clubs, so that's something to consider, too.
6. Tweet about the book. Even better, check if the author is on Twitter and include their Twitter handle so they'll hopefully see your tweet.
7. Blog about the book. Even if you don't have a book blog, you can probably find a way to tie it in to your blog's topic. Food bloggers could occasionally blog about cookbooks. Relationship bloggers can sneak in a review of a new dating book, and so on. Also take Devon Ellington's suggestion and invite the author to do a Q & A or guest post.
8. Recommend it on Goodreads. I'm on Goodreads, but I haven't updated my account in ages. Sorry, authors! I try to make up for it in other ways.
9. Post a review on Amazon. Some authors get deeply upset about malicious online reviews (especially when it's a review of the merchant and not the merchandise), so I try to keep my Amazon reviews positive. Unless I really hated the book, in which case I'll follow my mother's advice and try to keep my mouth shut.
10. Attend a book reading. One of an author's biggest fears is giving a book reading to an empty room. Don't let that happen! Gather your friends, coworkers, or book club members, and show your support.

Authors, what do you hope readers do? And readers, how many of these do you do? Or are there other methods I've missed?

Flickr photo courtesy of Paul Watson