Lovely Girl   +  writing for the web

Fun with Web Designers

Today we were adding a new feature to one of the websites I oversee at my day job. Right before we pushed it live (of course), I noticed that we were missing a period, so I asked the web designer to add it.

"But it's a command," he insisted. "It doesn't need a period."

"It has a subject and a verb," I told him, "therefore it's a sentence, and it needs a period."

I turned to the writer I supervise for reinforcement. "What do you think?"

"We could use an exclamation point!" she suggested. (This is a girl who often uses exclamation points to convey her excitement, and I'm the one who generally edits them out so her excitement doesn't go overboard.)

Our coworker the web designer shuddered at the thought of an exclamation point prominently displayed on his masterpiece. That was the end of the great grammar debate. Period.