Lovely Girl   +  rants

A Whole Yelp World

Before I had blogger, I had yelp , and life was pretty good. I love yelp's MySpace-meets-Citysearch concept and I've been dying to write a FOB (front-of-book piece for the uninitiated) about it, but so far no go, so I thought I'd post my random "yelp"-ings here (perhaps it will balance out the negative karma of my last blog post).I love that Yelp gives reviewers a face so you know if that "bad bar" review is coming from a 20-something hipster or an older suburbanite. With Zagat or CitySearch, you just never know... I love that Yelp gave me a place to organize all my favorite restaurants, bars, theatres, and more. View them here.I love that Yelp cracks down on "spelpers" - those who post fake reviews of their own restaurants, bars, etc.I love that YelpTalk has created a sense of community where people feel equally comfortable asking for recommendations on bikini waxes (!) or biking excursions. Gotta love the randomness of questions about the subway system and local politics.I love that Yelp hosts free happy hours. Yes, I realize that's it's a strategic marketing ploy to promote up-and-coming bars and other services, but free drinks are free drinks. Yelp on!