Lovely Girl   +  writing

5 Tips for Juggling Writing and Work

Many people are surprised when I mention how I balance freelance writing with a full time job. Yes, it’s tough sometimes, but the thing to remember is that I don’t have kids, pets, or even houseplants. Writing is one of my top priorities outside of work, but I still can’t do as much of it as I’d like. I’m interested in how other part timers make it work, so here are some of the strategies I (try to) use:

  1. Choose assignments carefully. I try to only take assignments that interest me (otherwise, it's not worth the sacrifice of time since I could be doing other things). And I learned the hard way that taking on too many source-heavy projects is a recipe for insanity. You can drive yourself crazy playing phone tag during your lunch break and running home in time for your 6pm interview. Instead, you could be writing in otherr forms. Essays and short stories are all about your experiences and imagination, so they don’t require formal interviews, making them the perfect genre for a part time writer. Quizzes, blog posts, and theater or restaurant reviews are also a safe bet (the last two usually require time beyond 9-5 anyway).
  2. Try to do interviews over email. Some of my colleagues are probably laughing at the lack of journalistic integrity in this suggestion, but plenty of full time journalists do this, too. It’s probably not appropriate for a full-on profile piece, but it can work if you need a short quote for a service article. And hey, at least you know you’re not misquoting your source! (By all means, fix any typos.)
  3. If you must do phone interviews, then find a source in a different time zone or someone who's available during off hours. Six o’clock is only three on the West Coast, so it’s perfectly appropriate to schedule a late afternoon phone call with someone in Oregon or California. Or if you're interviewing someone who's a night owl, they probably won't mind talking to you after 5 or 6 pm.
  4. Ask for extensions before you start writing. I'm constantly overcommitting myself, but I'm not shy about saying "I'm really booked this week, could we push the deadline back a few days?" You need to be realistic about your other time commitments and ask for appropriate time up-front so you're not letting down your editor. Unless you're writing hard-hitting news (and you're probably not if you have a full time job), most editors will give you a few extra days if you ask nicely. In fact, I've done this with several high-profile pubs and still gotten repeat assignments.
  5. Make friends with other freelance writers. They'll help you stay sane and they can share their own time management tips. Using the buddy system ensures that you always have someone you can email at 2am when you're freaking out because you still haven't come up with a clever headline for your article that's due at 9am.

I'm reading Time to Write, which has more strategies that I'll share when I've finished the book. So, readers, how do it? Do you tell your boss and your editors about your freelancing? I'd love to hear your stories!