Lovely Girl   +  writers on writing

5 Q's with Lori Gertz

Muse reader Lori Gertz writes a column for Remarkable Woman and runs Gertworks Consulting. Here she shares her insights into writing and publishing.
Urban Muse: Could you tell us about your involvement with Remarkable Woman?
Lori:
About a year ago the magazine showed up in my mailbox. I'd been reading the pub for about 10 months and becoming familiar with the demographic, but, more importantly, realizing it was written for the likes of people like me – juggling 3 kids, 3 dogs, a full-time consultancy and whatever else the days turn up- I called the publisher and pitched her on my column idea- As I See It. I intrigued her with the concept and followed up the same day with a sample column I had written to test the “voice” and she loved it. She bought it the same day! Now I know my voice has a home even though the damned thing still comes addressed to the previous owner of my house.

UM: What is the most important tidbit you picked up working in the NYC publishing industry? L: I learned that while being a divergent thinker didn’t serve me too well in the rank and file, it served me incredibly well in the dog-eat-dog competition of magazine publishing in NYC. I’m one of those people who enters a “zone” while people are explaining their marketing challenges to me. Sometimes it looks like I’m out to lunch, but I’m thinking “out of the box” in a divergent way somewhere up in the ether…and almost always this way of thinking led me to some of my most successful efforts while in NYC. The people I am proud to call role models envied this ability to float up in the creative air all while keeping grounded.

UM: Describe your favorite place to write
L:
Isn’t wi-fi a wonderful tool? I love to write in nature…and I live in the woods…so I can take my laptop out and sit on the grass near the pond under a tree and just let it rip!

UM: Where do you get the inspiration for your childrens' books?
L:
I still can’t believe that I’m a parent…no less to three children under 7! Sometimes I have to pinch myself because I never thought this life would be mine. I was a jetsetter…a risk taker…a Barney’s shopping, bungee cord jumping, black suit and heel wearing social smoker…not this mother-person. My inspiration comes from listening – to the imaginary lives of my kids. Their worlds make mine look and feel banal. Their experience is so rich and full of hope and belief. It’s a constant source of refreshment to me.

UM: You are stranded on a desert island, and can only bring one book or magazine. Which one do you bring?
L:
I’m a pretty voracious reader and have read some pretty intense books in my life….but the one I always come back to is a book by Nancy Mairs, entitled Remembering the Bone House. It’s amazing, and my favorite book for sure.

Thanks, Lori. Tune in next Wednesday for cupcakes and career advice with Lindsey Pollak, author of the forthcoming non-fiction book Getting from College to Career.