Lovely Girl   +  writing

5 Q's with Deborah Reber

This week's 5 Q's subject is Seattle writer Deborah Reber, whom I "met" through a Yahoo! group for writers (behold the power of online networking!). Deborah has authored several books, including In Their Shoes: Extraordinary Women Describe Their Amazing Careers and the forthcoming Chill: Stress-Reducing Techniques for a More Balanced, Peaceful You. We chatted about the publishing process and her newest projects.

Urban Muse: At what point did you decide to become a writer?
Deborah:
I wrote a freelance article for a film and video magazine called "The Independent" when I was in grad school and working for UNICEF. I loved the whole process, especially having something tangible that reflected the ideas and words that came out of my brain. It was about two yearsafter that first article that I did some career management work and started visualizing my ideal future career, and that's when I realized I wanted to be a writer. I set a ten-year goal for making that dream areality, and I was able to do it in five.

UM: Could you tell us a bit about how you got your first book published?
D:
My first book was a running book for women called Run for Your Life, and I kind of figured out the whole publishing process as I went along.When I first got the idea for the book, I went out and bought Michael Larsen's How to Write a Book Proposal, which basically walked methrough the whole process of what went into a proposal for a nonfiction book. I followed this book to the letter and put together a very hearty (albeit a little naive) proposal. I knew I wanted to try to find representation, so I then researched literary agents who were interested in handling nonfiction self-help for women with a fitnessedge, and put together a short list of about fifteen agents and followed their standard processes for submitting new projects. All but one agent passed on the book, but the one who was interested wasactually my top pick, so I was thrilled when she asked to represent me. My agent then went about pitching my book around, and we got a ton of rejections. But my agent's submissions editor assured me they would plug away until they found the right home. Then one morning about tenmonth slater, before leaving for my "real" job, I got a call from myagent saying that a publisher was interested, but wanted some moreresearch about the market for the book. By the end of the day, I emailed them every number I could find to prove to the publisher that there was indeed great potential for sales. The next day, they made an offer.

UM: Any tips on dealing with rejection?
D:
Don't dwell on it and try to move on to another idea. Like many writers, I have a folder of perfectly good book proposals and ideas that never sold. But I hang on to them because just because something didn't sell right away, doesn't mean it won't down the road. Case inpoint, my book that came out last spring, In Their Shoes:Extraordinary Women Describe Their Amazing Careers, was initially entitled Dream On, and my agent pitched it unsuccessfully in 2002. But an editor I knew who had seen the project never forgot the idea,and two years later when she was in the position of overseeing a teen imprint, she emailed me and said, "I think it's time to do your careerbook idea." I'm hoping that I can resurrect some of my other book ideasas I become more established in my field.

UM: You do a lot of writing for teen and tween girls. How do you stay current on what teens and tweens are thinking and doing?
D:
I'm a research junkie, and I read as much as I can from a variety of sources to stay "in the know." I subscribe to all the teen mags like CosmoGIRL and Teen Vogue, watch MTV and The N, am an avid reader of a blog called Ypulse that highlights news about tweens and teens, andhave Google Alerts set up for a myriad of subjects relating to teens. I also have a fairly broad network of teens that I communicate with, mostof whom I met through the writing of my Chicken Soup series for teens,"The Real Deal." Lastly, I have a small advisory board of teens from around the world who I touch base with when I'm researching an idea.

UM: Could you tell us about your next project?
D: I have a book for teen girls coming out in April called Chill: Stress-Reducing Techniques for a More Balanced, Peaceful You with Simon Pulse. It's basically aimed at overwhelmed, overscheduled teensand gives them tools for surviving their hectic lives. My agent is also about to go out with a new proposal for a nonfiction self-help/chicklit book aimed at twenty-somethings... fingers crossed!

UM: I think we could all use a book like that, Deborah. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Read more on Deborah's website and blog.