Lovely Girl   +  success

When to "Just Say No"

Harmony at Writer-in-the-Marking must be psychic when she tagged me to write a self-contract, because I had planned on posting about a similar topic this weekend (by the way, if you haven't already taken my AvantGuild poll, please do so here . I could really use other writers' input). Here goes...

Several weeks ago, I walked away from a web client that had given me tons of assignments and decent-sized checks during 2006. Why? you wonder incredulously. Because it just didn't fit into my goals as a writer. I started writing for them early in my freelance career, generating enough anonymous blurbs and story ideas that my editor had offered me a regular column. But she left and her successor had other plans, so rather than go back to writing lots of short, time-consuming pieces for little money and no byline, I decided to move on. And don't think for a second that I regret it, because now I have more time for projects I really want to write.For all you writers who are in the place where I was six months to a year ago, don't think that you have to graciously accept every assignment you're offered if you're not happy with the pay, the topic, or you're just flat-out too busy to do a good job. Editors will still respect you if you have to decline. Keep the door open with something like "I'm flattered that you thought of me, but I'm focusing on some other projects right now. Let's touch base next month." And onto my self-contract... I, Susan Johnston, pledge to the blogosphere and myself that I will uphold the highest standards of writing and research. I will agressively pursue projects that are financially and personally meaningful, and I will not accept substandard payment except for projects that advance my personal goals or those of the charities I support. I will strive for a variety of assignments and bylines while staying true to my writer's voice, but I will not sacrifice my sleep or my sanity in the process. Now I'm tagging Beth at Shenangians next.