Lovely Girl   +  writing

The Freelancer's Guide to Referrals

shaking hands on a referral

Referrals are the lifeblood of many freelance careers. In fact, I estimate that 43% of my writing income from last year came through referrals. I've a huge fan of this business development strategy and I tend be fairly generous about giving referrals. But they can also be fraught with potential pitfalls, like when the person you refer drops the ball or when the client you've been referred to turns out to be a dead beat. That's why I've compiled this list of tips for freelancers giving and receiving referrals.

  • Be honest.
    There are times when you realize a client isn't the right fit for you, so you might refer them to a colleague instead. It's not fair to that colleague if you claim "I'm too busy" when really you're frustrated with the client's lack of vision or their penchant for mysteriously "losing" invoices. I know other freelancers who are better at communicating with clients who don't know what they want or laying down the law with payment, so when I connect a colleague to a client like this, I try to be diplomatic but honest. That way they're more likely to succeed and their success reflects well on both of you.
  • Show your gratitude.
    When someone takes the time to offer you an editor's name or refer you to a new client, you should take the time to say thanks. I've had fellow freelancers send me handwritten notes, photos of cupcakes, even Amazon gift cards out of gratitude for a new client. These gestures really show their appreciation and increase the likelihood that I'll refer them again in the future. On the flip side, when someone bails on a client's project with no explanation or never follows through after an introduction they requested, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me reluctant to repeat the favor in the future.
  • Know the person's work.
    It's often a bad idea to refer someone you only know through social media or through friends, because that doesn't tell you anything about their work ethic or the quality of their work. Refer a dud freelancer, and it reflects badly on both of you. If I don't know much about the person's skills, then I may still give them an editor's email if they ask with the caveat that they not use my name.
  • Remember, it's OK to say no.
    If someone asks for a referral and you don't feel comfortable providing it, you can always decline or say you'd be happy to offer insights once you're on stronger footing with that publication or contact. And if you're the person being offered the referral and you sense that the client isn't right for you, feel free to say "no thanks." I'd much rather a colleague say "it's not for me" or "I don't have time right now" as opposed to letting the client down or going MIA.
What about you, fellow freelancers? Have you given or received referrals? If so, how did the process work for you? Image courtesy of acerin