Lovely Girl   +  research

Guest Post: Conquering Cold Email Fear

By Amanda Ryan

What is it about cold emailing editors that makes writers shake in their pj's? When I started out, it was the task on my list of writer's goals that kept getting pushed back farther and farther, until one day I came across a publication I thought would be a great fit with an article idea I hadn't quite formulated yet. I didn't know a whole lot about what I was doing when I sent that first cold email off, but afterward I felt I'd (mostly) conquered my fear and felt darn good about myself for doing it. I didn't get a go-ahead from that editor, but I learned one very important thing: it's all in the packaging. Here are my ways for getting over that initial fear and taking the plunge into cold emailing.

* Sell your idea to yourself first. Give yourself all the reasons why your idea and that publication are a great fit. In fact, they ought to get married, they're so meant to be together. That publication deserves to have your article, but more importantly, that article deserves to be in that publication.

* Imagine your pitch already accepted. I think this is what that Tony Robbins guy is always preaching, but there's a reason he's a billionaire. Imagining that you've already got the editor's approval takes all the negative edge off (I'm not good enough, there are lots of writers with better ideas, more experience, etc.), and your confidence takes over.

* There are millions out there just like you. This may not seem like such a great thing. In fact, it seems downright discouraging. But there's also a safety in numbers when it comes to the global market of freelance writing. Just think of how many bad--sometimes very, very bad--cold emails an editor gets. When you know you're good at what you do, your idea is fantastic and your email says just that (but in a clever and level-headed way), you've got a chance at impressing this person by standing out from the crowd. The archives of Deb Ng's Cover Letter Clinic are filled with other writers'cover letters, as well as Deb's excellent feedback.

* Look over other writers' shoulders. Check out some other writers' cold emails. Ask your fellow writer friends to send you some of theirs. Or, send an email to queries@renegadewriter.com for some excellent and free query letter samples.

* If you're not happy, don't send it. That is, don't send the pitch until your confidence in the piece shines through. Remember that the editor has no idea what your article is about, the research it requires or why it's important to you, and the way you portray it is the only thing s/he has to go on. Just like when you're in the drug store deciding on a new shampoo, it's the packaging that makes you take the plunge.

Amanda Ryan is a freelance writer in Vancouver, BC who blogs at From Ink to Ether