Lovely Girl   +  writing

5 Q's with Wendy Burt-Thomas

Wendy Burt-Thomas has written more than a thousand articles and three books, most recently The Writer’s Digest Guide to Queries; Landing articles, agents and book deals. Wendy and I chatted about query letters, book writing, and more.

Urban Muse: What are the most common mistakes writers make when writing a query letter?
Wendy:
They rush through it. I think this is especially true for fiction writers who have a completed novel. They pour all their effort into completing the book and then take five minutes to craft a query. The greatest book in the world will never get read if you can't entice an agent/editor with a great query.

UM: Do you prefer writing a book length manuscript or shorter projects like articles and greeting cards?
W:
Greeting cards are definitely my favorite thing to write - especially humor. I enjoy writing articles but when you write as many as I do (sometimes 20+ a month), it can get tedious. Books are nice because you can work at your own pace. This book was actually one of the easiest and most fun pieces I've ever worked on. I'd been teaching a workshop on the topic for eight years (and making a living as a freelance writer) so I wrote the first half of the book in a few weeks. Writing doesn't seem like work when you feel passionate about the topic!

UM: How do you stay motivated and organized when working on longer projects? W: I never spend an entire day working on just one project. If I'm working on a book, for example, I'll stop and do some work for clients (writing greeting cards, editing magazines, writing a press release). Then I'll head back to the book, then break for emails or lunch. I know some people have a difficult time switching mid-project, but that's how I keep things interesting.

UM: What is the best freelance writing advice you've ever gotten?
W:
Never pass up an opportunity. Of course, right now, it's not possible (or profitable) for me to jump on every opportunity that comes my way. I am fortunate that I have plenty of steady work (and book #3 to promote). But the advice served me well when I was first starting as a freelancer. I figured I would seize the opportunity and either be glad I did - or learn from it. I'd say 99% of the opportunities helped me get where I am today. The other 1% gave me something to warn other writers about!
My favorite quote is "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Be prepared to become a successful writer.

UM: Any new projects coming up?
W:
I just got off the phone with my agent and I have an idea for another writing-related book that she thinks might fare well. I just have to find the time to write a proposal! (Did I mention that in addition to full-time work and promoting my new book, I also have a 1-year-old and 3-year-old... and a husband deploying to Afghanistan?) I'm not lazy, I swear. Just busy. ; )
In the meantime, I'm promoting my new program, "10 Questions for... " Every day on my blog I ask a different author the same 10 questions about getting published, writing life, messy desks, embarrassing stories, etc. I think I have enough authors to profile one a day for the next 2 years and I'm thrilled. The answers are sometimes hysterically funny and I think writers like to hear about real authors who got tons of rejections when they started.Thanks, Wendy!