Lovely Girl   +  writing clips

Mortifying!

Ever since I read about Mortified, the new book/stand-up act that uses real people’s journal entries from childhood as fodder for comedy, I’ve been curious to reread my own journal entries (and maybe take a stab at the Boston show). Since I spent Christmas at my parent’s house, I brought back several volumes of my middle and high school diaries. And believe me, it’s plenty mortifying to read. Here’s a highlight from middle school:
"We got into our first fight, and it was the most miserable few hours of my life... The same guy that asked A out last week asked me out and, of course, I said no, because I knew that if it wasn’t a joke it had something to do with getting rejected by A and I don’t want her rejects! He admitted that it was a joke and the same with A and said what losers we are. I don’t remember what I said, but I wish I had chewed him out."Miraculous how little has changed in ten years.. .