Lovely Girl   +  writing tips

Lessons Learned

Not giving away any specifics and jinxing it, but there's an exciting project in the works. A while back I submitted what I considered my magnum opus (in 800 words or less) to a column in a well-known newspaper. I was immediately rejected and felt pretty foolish for wasting so much time on an idea that may never see the light of day (or the inside of a newspaper). Fast forward several weeks and I had another idea. It seemed silly, so instead of devoting weeks to it, I wrote a quick teaser and sent it off. BAM! Now I have the editors' attention and the go-ahead to flesh it out.
The moral of the story: don't spend too much time writing an entire article before confirming that someone may want to print it. Don't dismiss an idea that may have potential, even if it seems silly (your first idea often isn't your best idea). And DO continue pitching an editor after they reject you. I've gotten several assignments that way. They send me a courtesy email saying "not a fit for us," then I respond with, "OK, but how about this?" Works like a charm.