Lovely Girl   +  writing spaces

BONUS: 5 Q's with Kristen Fischer

I'd originally intended to post my 5 Q's feature twice a month. But after hearing about Kristen Fischer's upcoming book Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs, I just couldn't wait another week (plus, I'm taking a blogging break this weekend and wanted to leave everyone with some inspirational words of wisdom). I found Kristen when her editor and next week's 5 Q's subject Kristen King posted about Kristen F's second book, What College Didn't Prepare Me For (if my life were a show on the CW, that would be the title). Here's what Kristen F. had to say about the creative life:Urban Muse: Could you tell us a bit about making the transition from science major to freelance writer?
Kristen
: Mine was a natural progression. After graduating and realizing I didn't want to wade through mud, I tried to find a job working in communications for an environmental company, but they all wanted field technicians. I thought about what I was good at, which was always writing, and wound up taking a job at a small weekly newspaper. Later on, I did go back and work for an environmental company, which gave me great technical/corporate writing experience. Now I also realize that while I may not really do much work with environmental companies, I'm still getting use of my degree. I actually do some freelance work for a few environmental consultants. I love having a background in something different--plus, a lot of field technicians can't write reports to save their lives, so my environmental clients need me. I use that angle to market myself and it works!
UM: Most of us are familiar with the querying process for magazines and newspapers, but how do you find copywriting clients?
K: You want me to give up my secrets? Haha. Persistence is key. I try to reply to ads and approach companies that I'm interested in working for. There's no set way, but after reading books by Peter Bowerman and Bob Bly, I realized that I was on the right track in finding the bacon! Also with copywriting you have to market yourself. I have a brochure, a website and other handouts that I give prospective clients. Some in my industry make mini press kits. I also use direct mail. It's more like a business where you market your capabilities overall rather than offering one idea up. Still, I hope to pursue more magazine work once my books take off.UM: Do you have any tips on handling rejection?
K:
I used to let it destroy me, which is why I self-published Creatively Self-Employed. I still get upset when I don't get a gig. But that's negative energy and I try to refocus my efforts. But if you have to burn your rejection letters to releaseyour anger, do it! I think after a while you see that there are so many opportunities out there that one rejection can't define you. UM: When you're dealing with the number of sources and subjects that you used for Creatively Self-Employed, how did you keep them all organized?
K:
That's a really great question! I was good about putting the interviews directly into Word and then saving each file with the participants name. When I'd enter their information into the manuscript, I'd move the file into the "Used" folder. I also kept lists in-folders. My lists never originate in the same place (I have so many cute notebooks I write in) but I manage to use physical folders to make sure they stay put. Collecting releases was a nightmare. I have one phone line so when someone would fax I'd try to set up atime then switch the line over. The line would runacross my desk and then the regular phone would ringand it'd be a copywriting client or something like that. Then the person faxing would email about 10 times and tell me my fax machine wasn't working. I would get so agitated! I'm doing the same for my upcoming book, which is in a similar format. Thank goodness I have a publisher is collecting most of the releases for me.UM: Last question... where is your favorite place to write and why?K: My home office. I've made it a point to make it visually nurturing. I keep it clean and organized. I have a fabulous widescreen monitor. I hang up inspirational pictures and quotes. Burn candles and listen to XM Radio... that sort of thing. Otherwise, I love coffeehouses. Starbucks is cool if it's not super-busy. Otherwise, I go up the road to this little coffeehouse in town. They have a huge counter with barstools, where I penned most of my book.UM: Thanks, Kristen. Good luck with your book!