Lovely Girl   +  writers on writing

5 Q's with Wendy Tokunaga

Continuing our series of interviews with other writers, Wendy Tokunaga's novel, Midori by Moonlight, debuted last September. Here, Wendy shares her thoughts on writing, publishing, and choosing an MFA program...

Urban Muse: Any tips for first-time novelists?
Wendy:
I would make sure that you have trusted readers for your novel soyou'll get useful, constructive feedback. You want critique partnerswho know what they're talking about and will be honest in a helpfulway. It can sometimes be illuminating to get advice from a manuscriptconsultant. This could be a writing teacher or published author whooffers this type of service. You should also expect to revise yourmanuscript a number of times and to put it aside for a while so youcan look at it with fresh eyes.

UM: What was harder--finding an agent or finding a publisher? Why?
W:
I never approached publishers directly. I knew that the best way toreach my goal was to find an agent, but getting an agent was difficultfor me. MIDORI BY MOONLIGHT, my debut novel, is actually the fifthnovel I have written. One other (NO KIDDING) I self published throughiUniverse in 2000 after being rejected by many agents. I did get anagent for my third novel through a connection from a writer friend,but he could not sell the book and we parted ways. With MIDORI Ifinally found my wonderful current agent, Marly Rusoff. After I signed with her, it only took about six weeks before I had a two-book dealwith St. Martin's.

UM: How do you deal with rejection?
W:
Rejection is hard and I don't think anyone ever gets used to it. WhenI kept sending out my manuscripts to agents and continued to getrejected the only thing that kept me going was that I eventually sawprogress as I got more positive comments from agents. I could tell Iwas getting closer. I kept writing, kept trying to improve my craft.The important thing is that I didn't give up. It took a while, but itfinally happened. But you really have to love to write, be passionateabout your work, and you have to be open to criticism and to improving.

UM: You are currently in an MFA program in writing. What are the pros and cons of pursuing this path?
W:
Yes, I am currently in the MFA in Writing program at University of SanFrancisco and I will graduate in the summer of 2008. I am really enjoying this program a lot and feel privileged to be able to studythe techniques and styles of great authors and workshop my own writingwith some very talented professors. However, this path may not be foreveryone and it certainly isn't a prerequisite for getting published.An agent seeing in a query letter that a writer has an MFA may get youout of the slush pile, but most programs are quite expensive so thatshouldn't be the sole reason for applying. I applied to the programbefore I had an agent or book deal because I finally had theopportunity and it was a way I felt that I could keep seriouslypursuing writing. Right after I started I signed with my agent so it was kind of an unusual situation.

UM: Any advice on choosingsuch a program?
W:
There are many different types ofprograms out there -- even ones where you are only on campus for a fewweeks out of the year. These are called "low-residency" programs and they work well for people who have full-time jobs and who want to attend schools that are far from where they live. Since I'd spent thepast eight years doing freelance writing from home, the USF program appealed to me because I would be on campus interacting with students and teachers face to face full time. I suggest that those interestedin perhaps pursuing an MFA pick up a copy of Poets & Writers magazine,which has many ads and info on MFA programs all over the country.

Thanks, Wendy! For more on Wendy and her books, check out her website and blog. She also has some tips for writers (including the query letter she used to land an agent) here.