Lovely Girl   +  success

Open Thread: What's Your USP?

Large companies talk about unique selling points (USP) like bread with added nutrients or moisturizer that also protects against UV rays and evens out your skin tone. As master marketer Don Draper points out on Mad Men, USPs don't actually have to be unique so long as the competitors aren't already playing them up. (For those who haven't seen the episode, Don has to figure out how to sell cigarettes without making health claims and he concocts the tagline, "it's toasted." Even though all cigarettes are toasted, Don's client is the first company to proclaim it in their advertising. Not that I condone smoking, but he has a point.)

Freelancers can also benefit from finding a unique selling point that differentiates them from the competition. It could be the fact that you spent a decade working as a lawyer, so you understand complex legal concepts but you're able to translate them into laymen's terms. Maybe it's your ability to write compelling copy for a specific niche audience like Hispanic consumers or Baby Boomers or tweens. Or your willingness to turn around lengthy feature articles in a few days because you're a fast researcher and writer who doesn't require much sleep (this sounds silly, but I do know a successful freelancer who positions herself this way and editors love being able to call her with a last minute assignment if another writer bails or they unexpectedly need more content). It could be related to your area of specialization. Or not.

I admit I'm still figuring out my unique selling point, but I think it's a combination of my willingness to turn around copy quickly and my chameleonic ability to adapt to the company's voice. I can do short, sassy retail copy. Or tug at the heartstrings with a fundraising appeal for a nonprofit. Or write in the style of a straight news story. And I can do it within a few days, sometimes just a few hours.

What's your unique selling point? Why should clients or editors hire you? These are questions that every freelancer needs to think about, so I invite you to share your thoughts or solicit feedback on your own USP in the comments.