Lovely Girl   +  writing

News of Another Muse

When my copy of 20something essays by 20something writers (good read, by the way) arrived a few months back, I was thrilled to see that it included an essay by my former writing instructor Kathleen Rooney . Sure, it was about her posing as a nude artists' model, which is not something you generally picture your writing instructor doing, but if anyone could pull it off, its Kathy. I always looked forward to chatting with her on the B-line after class, when she would entertain me with funny observations and anecdotes from her MFA program and life in general.Well, despite moving out to the West Coast, I'm pleased to report that Kathy has kept at it with a poem in the December issue of Absent mag and the launch of Rose Metal Press (which is having a book party at Grub Street in the spring). And to think I knew her when...