Lovely Girl   +  writing

From the Mail Bag

I knew that my essay in the Boston Globe would probably ruffle some feathers. And it did. That is the risk everyone takes when they publish a personal essay. Here are some highlights from my "fan mail" as my editor so aptly put it...

I thought the writer's negativity towards the older generation was inappropriate in this article.

Though I am usually a model of politeness and decorum, I am tired of reading that my generation is made up of spoiled, lazy, and illiterate wastes of space. Some are like that, but many of us are hard working and socially conscious individuals with a genuine desire to make an impact on the world around us.

The writer's description of the plethora of errors found in the writer's work makes me wonder how the writer lasted long enough to give two weeks notice.

Let's talk for a minute about the difference between editing for spelling and syntax and editing for personal style. I'm not saying we should be sloppy about careless grammar or passive verbs (certainly not!), but there comes a time with every piece of writing when you need to stop second guessing the nuances of every single verb or the number of vowels in a headline and just let it go. As they say, art is never finished, merely abandoned. If that weren't the case, then we'd never be able to move on.

In closing, Ms. Johnston should view PBS once in a while.

Actually, I do watch PBS and attend the theatre and symphony regularly (shocking, I know), but then my taste is pretty eclectic.

I admit I was a little surprised by some of these comments; however, many of the writers I admire get flack for taking a stand (for instance, Penelope Trunk), so I consider myself in good company.