Lovely Girl   +  writing

Can't Win 'Em All

In the last 48 hours, I've gotten one rejection and one acceptance (well, technically, we're still negotiating but it sounds promising). Even with assignments coming in fairly regularly, it still stings when you spend weeks tracking down an editor's email, crafting the perfect pitch letter, and attaching your meticulously edited 800-word personal essay, only to recieve a terse "not interested. overdone." It's better than a silent rejection, but it shows why many people write queries before the actual essay.I've never believed in outlining or pre-writing - I like to dive in headfirst and start freeing all my ideas (I'll edit later). I also find that it takes me in unexpected new directions if I let myself riff on an idea, rather than mapping it out or using bullet points. On the bright side, I have a very polished personal essay that might be perfect for some other publication. Now the challenge is to find some place that appreciates the rambling humor of a newly minted career gal. Any takers?For fellow writers also in this predicament, this article about "Avoiding Burnout" is worth a look. It's by a very prolific freelancer named Kristen King.