Lovely Girl   +  writing

All I Want for Christmas...

is more time!! But since Santa doesn't have access to the time/space continuum, I'll settle for some books instead. The Anti 9-to-5 Guide and Query Letters That Rock are both on my wish list this holiday. Truth be told, I've already read both of them, but I want to my own copies so I can refer them without running to the library.

Here are some other suggestions for the writer on your holiday gift list...

Fancy notebooks and office supplies. I know you can write just as well in a plain spiral notepad, but frankly it's not as fun. I'm a sucker for cute little notebooks and pens, so I have several sets strategically placeed around my apartment in case inspiration strikes. Right now I'm coveting the mini notebooks and mouse pads from Paperchase, the British paper purveyor that just opened a store in Boston. See Jane Work also some cute supplies.

Magazine subscriptions. Please do not (I repeat: do NOT) buy me a gift magazine subscription, because I'm trying to widdle down my reading list, but it's a good idea in theory. Magazines.com is running a gift promotion right now, so you could help out a fellow writer that way.

Writing course or membership. We writers need to stick together! I love my memberships to Freelance Success (btw, the rates are going up on January 1, so now's the time to join!) and Media Bistro, and I bet the wirter in your life will like them, too. Both offer online courses and some of MB's classes are offered in person, too.

Charitable donation. I'd love for someone to donate money to a childhood literacy program or a local library on my behalf (hint, hint). Alternatively, you could donate a favorite childhood book to Toys for Tots or another organization. Charity Navigator is a great way to research nonprofits.
Inkygirl offers more writing-themed gift ideas. I'm curious... what's on your wish list this year?