Lovely Girl   +  writing

A Writer's Resolution

Since yesterday’s trek from Seattle to Boston took thirteen plus hours (gotta love holiday travel), I had ample time to reflect on a New Year’s resolution. I haven’t really made a resolution in recent years, because, let’s face it, most are lucky to continue past week three. But this year I thought I’d set a goal I actually intend to follow through on. *Drum roll, please... *

Write more strategically.

Now that I’m in the habit of writing most every day, the next step is to stick to projects that fit within my larger vision as a writer. Since the goal is to eventually write full-time (either as a copywriter or freelancer), that means prioritizing assignments that excite me creatively and could lead to bigger and meatier ones. It also means being more organized about following up with editors and keeping all my ideas in one spot.

Don’t get me wrong, writing for writing’s sake is fine (it’s why many people blog). Doing the occasional pro bono piece as a favor to someone you respect is good karma. But I spent a lot of time this year and in the past plugging away on articles just to get another clip that I don’t really need. And as I was reminded when I read Table Talk, it's just not productive.Anyone have a resolution they’d like to share? Happy New Year to all, and see ya next year!