Lovely Girl   +  special

Open Thread: Writing on Spec

Writing on spec is not my favorite thing to do. But I'd be lying if I said I never did it. In fact, the first several articles I ever published were submitted on speculation (meaning without a contract or promise of publication), because I didn't know any better. Then as I built up more clips and learned how to query editors, I focused more on assigned articles, because that's how to build a steady income as a writer and protect yourself from getting screwed.

These days I only consider writing on spec under the following circumstances.

  1. Personal essays. This is how most essay editors work and it's one of the reasons I don't write as many personal essays as I'd like. Still, there is a sense of personal satisfaction when I finish an essay I'm proud of and that almost makes up for the uncertainty of being able to sell it!
  2. An editor expresses interest, and it's a topic with resale potential. It's one thing to send an editor an article out of the blue and another to have that editor express interest in a query and ask if you'll write it on spec. I'm still a little dubious about editors who refuse to offer a contract (especially to writers with plenty of clips to their name), but someones it's their policy that new-to-them writers work on spec the first time. I would only consider this if the article could work for another publication. If it's highly specific for a niche audience, then it's too much of a risk, in my opinion.
  3. It's a publication I'm dying to write for, and I'm willing to eat that time if I need to. This is similar to #2. You're taking a calculated risk, and you have to be ready for it blow up in your face. But if it's a dream publication, then it might be worth the risk for the possible pay-off.

Choosing to write on spec (or not) is a complex and personal decision. There are many more factors than the ones I've mentioned above. So, how do you know if you should write on spec? And if you're experienced freelancer, when did you start saying no? I'd love to read your thoughts on the topic!