Lovely Girl   +  open thread

Open Thread: What's Your Experience with Editing?

Some writers dread getting a document covered in edits. Others see it as a chance to take their writing to the next level. Still others have conflicting feelings. Steph Auteri at Freelancedom explored the editing process in a recent post, and I'd love to continue the conversation over here.I've learned to distance myself from the editing process, so although it sometimes stings to see my copy dismantled and reassembled so that it's barely recognizable, I understand that it's just part of the process. Getting emotionally attached is generally a bad idea. I always appreciate it when an editor or client asks me to make revisions myself so I can feel like a part of the process, but realistically, there isn't always time. When that happens, I'll usually compare the published piece to my manuscript and see where the editor made changes so I can adapt my writing next time. But I've realized that some editors and clients completely revamp copy regardless of what you turn in. (When I edit other people's writing, I tend to be more conservative in my changes so I don't stamp out their voice.) Maybe it's the result of editing by committee or a need to justify their existence, but it doesn't necessarily mean the writer stinks. As long as there aren't factual or grammatical errors and the check clears, I try to shrug off copy changes.So, how do you handle edits? Are you one of those cranky-pants writers who can't stand to have any of her words changed? Or have you had a smart, insightful editor take you under her wing so now you respect (and dare I say enjoy) the process? If you're an editor or client, do you slice and dice copy or take a more light-handed approach? Do you wish writers were less possessive of their work or do you see that a sign of passion and commitment to the written word? Do tell! UPDATE: I discovered this crazy nightmare of an editing story via @kellymcgonigal on Twitter. Hopefully, this experience is the exception rather than the rule, but I thought I'd post it and see if any writers or editors weigh in with their thoughts. Flickr photo courtesy of Pacopus