Lovely Girl   +  Tips & Tricks

Open Thread: How Do You Handle Health Insurance?

I'm fortunate to live in Massachusetts, which offers affordable insurance to the self-employed. Sure, it's not the most comprehensive coverage ever, but the one time a medication wasn't covered, my doctor agreed to send me a sample he had lying around his office. As long as I'm self-employed (and unattached), I'd think twice before moving out of state and giving up my Health Connector coverage.

Health coverage has come up in the news a lot lately, and it's a very touchy topic, especially for freelancers. I'm curious how other self-employed folks handle this issue. Do you take your chances and go without? Rely on a spouse or domestic partner for health coverage? Join a union and buy it through them? Perhaps your tips will be useful to another freelancer, so leave a comment and let us know!