Lovely Girl   +  Tips & Tricks

Beating Burnout

One of the reoccuring themes that I'm seeing on many of the writing forums I follow is other writers are feeling overwhelmed this time of year. "Sounds like burn out is going around," warned one poster, as if it were as contagious as a case of the flu.

Truth be told, I'm feeling a few of the symptoms myself. Lately it's felt more and more like there just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish half of what I want to do. And trying to set up multiple phone interviews around my subjects' crazy schedules has wreaked havoc on my personal time (one person had to reschedule 3 times, which mean I had to change my schedule 3 times - oy!). So, here are a few of the tactics I'm going to try to get back on track:

  1. Say no more often. I'm already booked up until the beginning of December, and I've already said no to one low-paying assignment. I really wanted to write the story because the topic is near and dear to my heart, but it just wasn't worth driving myself crazy for a small chunk of change. Lately I've been asking editors for more time before my deadline (upfront, not springing it on them the night before) and they've been happy to oblige.
  2. Turn off my computer at a reasonable hour. As long as my laptop is on, my brain is still running a mile a minute with story ideas, emails to write, and topics to Google. Shutting off my computer helps me wind down for the night, but when I'm on a roll, it's really tempting to just keep going. Part of me regrets it the next day, and another part is pleased with the quality of writing.
  3. Take breaks. Heather Strang recommends something called an "artist date." The idea is to take time for those activities that keep you sane and help you get in touch with your inspiration. For me, this means rocking out on the treadmill and leisurely browsing book stores. Many writers give themselves at least one computer-free day per week, but since I have to fit writing around my full time job, that's not really an option for me (at least not right now).

Any other tips on staying sane and avoiding burn out? I'd love to hear them!

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who has weighed in so far with their comments. It's great to know that so many other writers feel the same way. Speaking of other writers, Allison Winn Scotch (who is one of my freelancing idols) blogged about this very same topic recently, so you may want to check out her post, too.

Another way to combat burn out which I remembered belatedly is writing in a different locale, because sometimes a change of scenery can really help recharge those creative batteries. I've found several cafes near my apartment that are ideal for writing. While we're on the topic, what's your favorite writing spot?