Lovely Girl   +  writers on writing

5 Q's with Abigail Green

Abigail Green has contributed to WashingtonPost.com, AOL.com, and Health magazine to name a few. She also blogs about being a new mom. Here she shares some insights into the business of writing...

Urban Muse: Tell us about your first big clip.
Abigail:
My first national clip was in Health magazine. I had read in a market guide that a particular editor was looking for “fresh” ideas related to health. Prior to becoming a freelancer, I was a staff writer for an alternative health web site. There, I had written an article about an ancient Indian technique for mind/body wellness called vastu. I pitched it to the Health editor as “the new feng shui.” After lots of back and forth about how the piece would be structured, I got the assignment.

That was my first lesson in “polite persistence.” And also, in contracts. I was too nervous to ask for a better contract, so I signed a WMFH (work made for hire) agreement. When my story was reprinted in an anthology, I didn’t get any additional money. Now I know to ask for FNASR (First North American Serial Rights) contracts whenever possible.

UM: What inspires you? How do you brainstorm for ideas?
A:
I keep an idea journal near me at all times. I’ll jot down thoughts, book titles, web sites, something I saw on the news, bits of overheard conversation. Anything can make a great story idea. If I’m really stuck, I’ll surf the web for awhile and invariably find something that piques my interest.

UM: Any tips on dealing with rejection?
A:
At first, I took rejection very personally. I think it’s hard not to. But there are a million reasons why an editor might reject a pitch—they just did something similar, they’re about to do something similar, a competitor just did something similar, she doesn’t have the budget, or she once had a bad experience with yams, or whatever the subject of your article is. It doesn’t necessarily mean she hates you or your idea. In fact, it’s usually about them, not about you.

Even though I broke in to Health with my first pitch, I racked up at least half a dozen rejections from Bride’s before I got an assignment. With other publications, it’s been years and I’m still getting rejections!

Once I started thinking about freelance writing as a business, a rejection was simply one “no” on the way to a “yes.” Plus, when you realize that in this business rejection is the norm, then it doesn’t sting quite as bad.

UM: What advice would you give to aspiring freelancers?
A:
Approach freelancing as a business. Design some basic letterhead, a query and invoice template, get some business cards printed, and set up a web site if you can. It’s important to be organized, so you can keep track of who you’ve pitched, when, their response, and how much you’re owed. A great book (now out of print but available used on Amazon) is “This Business of Writing,” by Gregg Levoy. It includes sample marketing charts, phone scripts for negotiating with editors, and other great practical information.

I’d also recommend taking writing courses throughout your career. I’ve taken several in person and online through such places as Mediabistro and WritersOnTheRise.com. Attend writers’ conferences, too. You’ll meet other serious writers and hear directly from editors at top publications. Investing in your career always pays off.

Lastly, don’t let the naysayers get you down. People love to talk about how hard it is to make a living as a freelancer. I made more in my first year of fulltime freelancing than in my first job out of college, and only worked about half as many hours. Plenty of freelance writers are making a very good living. If you’re professional, persistent, pleasant to work with, and have at least a modicum of talent, you’ll do fine. Plus, in what other profession can you make money pursuing whatever interests you? I’ve gotten paid to write about hot stone massages, luxury hotels, planning my own wedding, and funny stories about my family.

UM: What do you read purely for fun?
A:
Anything I can get my hands on, including Real Simple; Brain, Child; US Weekly; and TelevisionWithoutPity.com. I’m mostly a nonfiction gal. Real life is infinitely more entertaining than anything someone could make up.