Lovely Girl   +  rants

When is a Clip Just a Check?

I choose my writing projects based on several factors. How much does this topic interest me? Will this clip help me land more of the kind of assignments I want? And, of course, is the money worth my time? Lately I've been so busy that I've had to turn down assignments that don't meet this criteria. Which is why it's frustrating when I can't get a copy of the clip to show to other prospective editors or the article is being held hostage for some indefinite period of time.

Several of the magazines I write for are so niche, they're not available on newsstands or online. So, unless I wanted to subscribe to every single one of those magazines, I'm dependent on the editor sending me a copy when they come out. Some editors are great about this (usually with a gentle little nudge), and others could care less if I get a copy of the magazine, since I've already been paid (thank goodness!) and they have to focus on getting the next issue out. In these cases, the magazine's name isn't going to impress another editor ("you write for New England Teen Girl Monthly? Big deal!"), so if I can't get a clip showing off my article all I get is a check. Which isn't soo bad, but I still get a kick out of seeing the article laid out with photos and fancy font.

For more writerly rants, check out Writing Frump, one of my new favorite blogs.