Lovely Girl   +  writer's conferences

Do’s and Don’ts of Writer’s Conferences

Last week was my first writer’s conference that involved a plane ticket and hotel accommodations. And it was worth every penny. Before I left on Thursday morning, I posted on LinkedIn soliciting tips on making the most of a writer’s conference. All of the responses were informative and on topic, but Rebecca’s was the most detailed (not to mention that it showed off her sense of humor, too).
Here’s an excerpt:

Make sure you know in advance where you are going and what you need to do when you get there. There is nothing worse then feeling flustered and out of sorts for that first session or the keynote when you want to be on top of your game.

I’ve incorporated some of the other tips below.

Do attend as many sessions and activities as possible. You never know where you pick up an interesting tip or meet a great new contact, so try to spend as much time at the conference as you can. I admit it: I was a little distracted by the free wifi and the desire to start on a fresh batch of queries, but I really tried to interact with other people and pay attention during the sessions with editors. I also made sure to sit with a new group of people at each meal so I could I could introduce myself and chat about the conference.

Don’t overschedule yourself. I left my apartment at 4:30am, flew from Boston to Cincinnati and Cincinnati to Tampa, spent the afternoon on FAM tour of Tampa, mingled during the manager’s reception, then went to a long, formal dinner before collapsing in bed. Talk about conferencitis! This was not my original itinerary, but when Delta canceled my direct flight and rebooked me through Cincinnati (my only option since I needed to arrive by 11am), I really should have cancelled my afternoon activities and left at a more sane hour so I’d be rested for the next day.

Do chat up other writers and editors. I found the attendees incredibly friendly and approachable. Within a few minutes of talking to other writers on the first day, I’d picked up several ideas on new websites to pitch and heard a horror story about one that I now know to avoid. When another writer lamented a market that had dried up, I suggested a different website for her story, and we exchanged emails earlier today.

Don’t shamelessly name drop. I watched someone list all of the people she knew at a particular publication and the editor didn’t recognize a single name. Awkward! A better bet is to ask the editor questions to gain insight into what he or she needs. It also show that you’re interested and engaged. Also let other writers get their face time, too, or you’ll appear needy.

Do bring business cards. I brought business cards, but in my sleep-deprived stupor, I left them in my hotel room on the second day. One of the other attendees had a clever way to keep her cards close by: she put a few behind the plastic her name badge with her name in front. Whenever someone suggested exchanging cards, she was ready. I was impressed!

Don’t bring your entire manuscript. What a waste of luggage space! As last week’s conference, we could exchange business cards, but we were not allowed to bring extra paperwork and force it upon the editors or agents speaking. If there was a mutual interest, we could send writing samples or book proposals later. As a matter of fact, a few agents said that their offices are trying to go green by only accepting proposals via email.

Have you ever attended a writer’s conference? What advice would you add?