Lovely Girl   +  The Social Network

5 Ways Facebook Can Boost Your Freelance Biz

Over the weekend, I visited my younger brother, and we watched The Social Network together (aside from the fact that it managed to insult my alma mater twice in the first 10 minutes, I enjoyed the movie). Given the highly anticipated (and highly controversial) movie release, it seemed timely to talk about how Facebook impacts freelancers. True, social networks can be a distracting time suck, but in some ways they can also be helpful to freelance writers--in moderation, of course. Here are five areas where I've found Facebook to be useful. 1. Trolling for sources.
I tend to use professional organizations or HARO for expert sources. But when I need a "real person," I'll often reach out to my Facebook network and see if any of my friends know someone who's lost 50 pounds or recently refinanced their home or whatever the request du jour is. 2. Promoting articles or blog posts.
Facebook can be an awesome place to share the links you're most proud of or spread interesting articles that relate to your interests. The key is not treating it like the 24/7 Susan Johnston show. Share and "like" other people's posts, too, and avoid annoying your friends with too many updates all about you or all at once. 3. Building your brand.
Beyond promoting one-off articles or blog posts, Facebook can also help you achieve the more long-term goal of creating and maintaining your brand. Many businesses, celebs, and solopreneurs now have dedicated Facebook pages, and this blog is no exception (in case you're curious, here's the Urban Muse Facebook page). Obviously, Facebook marketing isn't for everyone, so it will depend on where your customers or readers hang out online. 4. Finding ideas.
Although I try not to spend too much time on Facebook during the work day, occasionally I hit pay dirt, which totally justifies the occasional mid-day distraction. For instance, recently as I perused my feed, I discovered a new boutique opening next month and decided to pitch the idea to a local publication. You never know when a friend might post something that could spark an idea for your next article. 5. Easing isolation.
Some people love working alone, but I miss the occasional chat by the water cooler. Which is why I often use Twitter or Facebook as my virtual water cooler to help me connect with like-minded creatives. It may not benefit my bottom line, but those contacts may lead to new clients and new projects down the line. In the meantime, it helps me stay sane, which certainly helps my business. What about you? How do you use Facebook and other social networking sites? Or do you prefer to keep focused on your creative projects? Flickr photo courtesy of Damon Duncan