Lovely Girl   +  Tips & Tricks

5 Hints for Writing Headlines

Often coming up with a snappy headline can jumpstart your creativity when you're feeling uninspired (not to mention grabbing an editor's attention when you send a query). Personally, it helps me when I'm feeling unfocused to hone in on the all-important question "what is this really about?" A good headline usually answers that.

Of course, finding the perfect turn of phrase can also be a source of angst and frustration (take it from the Queen of Angst herself). Most of my headlines use at least one of these strategies (including the title of this post):

  1. Play on words. Brainstorm a couple of well-known phrases related to your topic and then turn them inside outside out. Example: It's Easy Being Green (OK, this one is kind of over-used for veggie and eco-friendly topics, but I still like it.)
  2. Alliteration. As long as you don't go overboard with the alliteration, it can tie a title together rather nicely. Example: Depart with Dignity (my editor came up with this one, and I think it sums up the article perfectly!)
  3. Juxtaposition. I just love that word, and I love what it does for a headline. Think: black and white, big and small, high and low. Example: Big Ideas for Small Spaces.
  4. Lists. Magazine readers are drawn to cover lines like "10 Ways to Improve Your Sex Life" and "5 Must-Have Acessories for Fall," because they are neat, organized, and seem practical. Example: 5 Time-Saving Tech Tips.
  5. Simplicity. Sometimes a short, straight-forward title is better than a long, cutesy one, especially online when you want to incorporate keywords. Example: Taking Constructive Criticism.

Am I missing anything? How do YOU brainstorm for titles or headlines?